from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A silly, rather unintelligent person.
- n. An area of hostile or enemy-controlled territory secured by paratroops or air-assault forces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A silly, foolish or unintelligent person.
- n. A landing area for aircraft for supplying an operation, military or other, usually temporary.
- n. An area of hostile territory that has been seized by paratroopers or helicopter-based troops to ensure the further landing of troops and/or materiel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an airheaded person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bridgehead seized by airborne troops
- n. a flighty scatterbrained simpleton
CNN's daily fascination with this airhead is bordering on the creepy. tee
All these "airhead" comments reflect your lack of maturity!
Please, someone explain to this woman that she cannot see Russia from her house, and that statement make her come across as an "airhead".!
It's hard to imagine now, but 31 years ago, when I first announced that I was supporting Reagan in his bid for the 1980 Republican presidential nomination, I was routinely asked by friends on the right how I could possibly associate myself with this "airhead," this B movie star, who was not only stupid but incompetent.
Somehow with Obama, "airhead" just doesn't pass muster.
For the "airhead" caricature to stick, there has to be some element of truth to it.
So she inevitably sounds like an "airhead" because the columns are meant to be read beyond it's veneer of superficiality.
How about some connection with the air you have to whip into the cream to make the dessert - akin to the modern term "airhead"?
"He thought I was some kind of airhead academic, and I thought he was rather an arrogant young member of Congress."
Thus we witness the tawdry spectacle of media warriors such as CNN's Glen Beck, Ann Coulter, and others call Sheehan everything from a "tragedy pimp" to an "airhead" to the "commander in grief."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.