from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place providing support for the foot in climbing or standing.
- n. A firm or secure position that provides a base for further advancement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A solid grip with the feet.
- n. airhead, beachhead, bridgehead, lodgement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A holding with the feet; firm standing; that on which one may tread or rest securely; footing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which sustains the feet firmly and prevents them from slipping; that on which one may stand or tread securely; hence, firm standing; footing; stable position; settlement; establishment.
- n. A kind of light india-rubber overshoe, leaving the heel unprotected; a sandal. Sometimes called tip.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing
- n. an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments
- n. an area in hostile territory that has been captured and is held awaiting further troops and supplies
foot + hold (Wiktionary)