American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A place providing support for the foot in climbing or standing.
- n. A firm or secure position that provides a base for further advancement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which sustains the feet firmly and prevents them from slipping; that on which one may stand or tread securely; hence, firm standing; footing; stable position; settlement; establishment.
- n. A kind of light india-rubber overshoe, leaving the heel unprotected; a sandal. Sometimes called tip.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A holding with the feet; firm standing; that on which one may tread or rest securely; footing.
- n. a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing
- n. an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments
- n. an area in hostile territory that has been captured and is held awaiting further troops and supplies
- foot + hold (Wiktionary)
“One such provision is his Free Choice Voucher, which he described as a "foothold for choice and competition and a safety valve for Americans whose employers are already forcing them to bear more and more of their family's health insurance costs.”
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”
“It starts off with a big roof about three feet off the ground, which fortunately has really good hands above it -- but that means your first foothold is at waist level.”
“November 19th, 2005 at 6: 57 pm bdub says: â€œAll tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. â€ – Thomas Jefferson”
“A REAL FATHER! says: â€œAll tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. â€ – Thomas Jefferson”
““All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.””
“Only time will tell if this strategy will secure them a long term foothold, but one things sure, Microsoft has the money to play in any game they want.”
“The foreign banks are here to make a profit for their parents, but even if the competitive environment makes it difficult to produce a very good rate of return, most of the parents would probably still feel that a Canadian foothold is a worthwhile part of their worldwide business.”
“Reversal from 1.3691/1.3677 zone found a short-term foothold at 1.3416 yesterday.”
“Of course, one could argue that the Cons might be able to establish a better long-term foothold if they do get a majority mandate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘foothold’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Lingo that immediately classifies you as a climbing insider
Words from 2008 'RocknRolla' film.
Words as I learn them.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Words for Reid. c:
Looking for tweets for foothold.