from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small indentation or ledge on which the toe of a shoe can find support in climbing.
- n. A slight or initial yet significant advantage useful for future progress: Family connections gave her a toehold in politics.
- n. Sports A wrestling hold in which one competitor wrenches the other's foot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A foothold small enough to support just the toe.
- n. Any small advantage which allows one to make significant progress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small foothold used in climbing
- n. a wrestling hold in which the toe is held and the leg is twisted against the joints
- n. a relatively insignificant position from which future progress might be made
From toe + hold. (Wiktionary)