from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A grip of or by the hand.
- n. Something that one can hold onto for support.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A projection that one may hold onto for support
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Hold or grasp with the hand. Compare foothold, 1.
- n. The handle of an anglers' rod, formed by that part of the butt which is just above the reel: it is often wrapped with velvet, ratan, or cord.
- n. In car-building, an iron bar firmly fixed to the side or end of a freight-car to assist trainmen in boarding it; a grab-iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an appendage to hold onto
Sorry, no etymologies found.