from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports An illegal wrestling hold used to choke an opponent.
- n. A force, influence, or action that restricts or suppresses freedom or progress. Also called throttlehold.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grip or control so strong as to stifle or cut off.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wrestling hold in which the arms are pressed against the opponent's windpipe
- n. complete power over a person or situation
From strangle + hold. (Wiktionary)