from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman's sleeveless undergarment, now usually worn under a sheer blouse.
- n. A short negligee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A light jacket with sleeves.
- n. A short, sleeveless undergarment worn by women underneath a blouse, or as a form of short negligee.
- n. A straitjacket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short dressing jacket for women.
- n. A kind of straitjacket.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short light garment with sleeves, usually of material that will wash, worn by women as a dressing-sack or in morning-dress.
- n. A strait-jacket.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short sleeveless undergarment for women
- n. a short negligee
French (from Italian camiciola, diminutive of camicia, shirt) or from Old Provençal camisolla, diminutive of camisa, shirt, both from Late Latin camisia, camīsa; see chemise.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French camisole, from Spanish camisola, diminutive of camisa ("shirt"). (Wiktionary)