American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A woman's or child's loosely fitting shirt that extends to the waist or slightly below. See Regional Note at greasy.
- n. A loosely fitting garment resembling a long shirt, worn especially by European workmen.
- n. The service coat or tunic worn by the members of some branches of the U.S. armed forces.
- v. To hang or cause to hang loosely and fully.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light loose upper garment, made of linen or cotton, worn by men as a protection from dust or in place of a coat. A blue linen blouse is the common dress of French workingmen.
- n. A loosely fitting dress-body worn by women and children.
- n. An outer garment, usually loose, that is similar to a shirt and reaches from the neck to the waist or below. Nowadays, in colloquial use, blouse refers almost always to a woman's shirt that buttons down the front.
- n. military A loose-fitting uniform jacket.
- v. To hang a garment in loose folds.
- v. military To tuck one's pants/trousers (into one's boots).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A light, loose over-garment, like a smock frock, worn especially by workingmen in France; also, a loose coat of any material, as the undress uniform coat of the United States army.
- n. a top worn by women
- 1828, from French blouse ("a workman's or peasant's smock"), of obscure origin. Perhaps from French blousse ("scraps of wool used mostly for flannel"), from Occitan (lano) blouso ("pure or short (wool)"), from blous, blos ("pure, empty, bare"), from Old High German blōz "naked, bare" (German bloß "bare"), or a conflation of the aforementioned and French blaude, bliaud ("a kind of smock"), from Old French bliau, from Frankish *blīfald (“topcoat of scarlet colour”), from blī- "coloured, bright" + -fald ("crease, fold"). More at blee, fold. (Wiktionary)
- French, possibly alteration (influenced by blousse, wool scraps, of Germanic origin) of obsolete French blaude, from Old French bliaut, probably of Germanic origin . (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The blueberry skirt and blouse is worn during gardening and watering.”
“Her snug blouse is open enough to the neck to show part of a spider web tattoo that flourishes behind soft cotton.”
“For example, Lori's romantic Chloé blouse is an obsession stemming from her desire to channel Olivia Hussey in Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet," and a fur capelet adds just the right proportions.”
“The blouse is cute and it fits me like a glove, and though I love the design of the sleeves and the lace decorations, I'm a little disappointed at the shiny plastic buttons and the absence of waistline.”
“Even with jeans, a nice sweater or blouse is charming.”
“One Response to “No sleeveless blouse is safe now ….””
“The blouse is poplin, shirred and embroidered at a décolleté neckline and shoulders.”
“I went to MicMac Mall with the express purpose of finding a blouse so I could cosplay Tifa for Halloween, but when I got home, I found out her blouse is sleeveless, and her shoes are brown.”
“Hallak may charge $32.50 for a silk no-label blouse but $43.60 for a silk Chanel blouse.”
“A stunning young woman in a backless blouse is the focus of most gazes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘blouse’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
many frequently used by moms; words that sound dirtier than they are
words that give me the heebidie jeebidies
world of supah
Words that were used by a vet school classmate that made her sound much older than she was at the time. For the past 20 years, my friends and I have been catching one another using these words and ...
Looking for tweets for blouse.