from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A garment formerly worn by men under a doublet.
- n. Chiefly British A short, sleeveless, collarless garment worn especially over a shirt and often under a suit jacket; a vest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short, sleeveless coat or garment for men, worn under the coat, extending no lower than the hips, and covering the waist; a vest.
- n. A garment occasionally worn by women as a part of fashionable costume.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of various garments.
- n. A garment without sleeves worn under a coat. They were formerly long, reaching sometimes to the thighs, and were made of rich and bright-colored material; now they are worn much shorter. They are generally single-breasted, but double-breasted waistcoats have been in fashion at different times.
- n. A garment worn by women in imitation of a man's waistcoat. Compare .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man's sleeveless garment worn underneath a coat
Sorry, no etymologies found.