from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A band or ribbon worn about the waist as part of one's clothing or over the shoulder as a symbol of rank.
- transitive v. To put a band or ribbon about (the waist).
- n. A frame in which the panes of a window or door are set.
- transitive v. To furnish with a sash.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decorative length of cloth worn as a broad belt or over the shoulder, often for ceremonial or other formal occasions.
- n. The opening part of a window usually containing the glass panes, hinged to the jamb, or sliding up and down as in a sash window.
- n. A draggable vertical or horizontal bar used to adjust the relative sizes of two adjacent windows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A scarf or band worn about the waist, over the shoulder, or otherwise; a belt; a girdle, -- worn by women and children as an ornament; also worn as a badge of distinction by military officers, members of societies, etc.
- transitive v. To adorn with a sash or scarf.
- n. The framing in which the panes of glass are set in a glazed window or door, including the narrow bars between the panes.
- n. In a sawmill, the rectangular frame in which the saw is strained and by which it is carried up and down with a reciprocating motion; -- also called gate.
- transitive v. To furnish with a sash or sashes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The framed part of a window, in which the glass is fixed; also, a similar part of a greenhouse, etc.
- n. The frame in which a saw is put to prevent its bending or buckling when crowded into the cut.
- To furnish with sash-windows.
- n. A long band or roll of silk, fine linen, or gauze, wound round the head by Orientals in the manner of a turban; also, in modern times, a band or scarf worn over the shoulder or round the waist for ornament.
- To dress or ornament with a sash or sashes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a band of material around the waist that strengthens a skirt or trousers
- n. a framework that holds the panes of a window in the window frame
Arabic šāš, muslin; akin to Hebrew šēš, byssus, fine linen, both probably from Egyptian šs, linen.
Alteration of French châssis, frame (taken as pl.); see chassis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Arabic شاش (šāš, "muslin cloth"). (Wiktionary)