American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A band of material encircling and fitting the waist of a garment, such as trousers or a skirt.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A band meant to encircle the waist, especially such a band forming part of a garment and serving to stiffen or maintain it: as, the waistband of a skirt.
- n. A separate or outer girdle or belt.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The band which encompasses the waist; esp., one on the upper part of breeches, trousers, pantaloons, skirts, or the like.
- n. rare A sash worn by women around the waist.
- n. a band of material around the waist that strengthens a skirt or trousers
“The buckle of her waistband is also his work; I am not quite sure but that it is a token of betrothal when a girl wears the buckle her suitor has made.”
“His backside, with the vertical line peeking out from the center of his waistband, is a familiar sight in our village.”
“A waistband is a lot more trouble and adds an inch or two above the skirt, and most waistbands on patterns are not wide enough.”
“Now why guys will walk around with their boxers or whitey-tightys looking like storm-tossed ships, panels of fabric barely hanging onto the waistband, is beyond me ...”
“Tucked in her waistband was a pistol similar to mine, the compact Glock.”
“Isnora believed, by its shape, the object in the waistband was a gun, which he radioed to Lieutenant Gary Napoli, head of the team.”
“One day I noticed the waistband was a little tight.”
“He allegedly said the gun in his waistband was the one used in the robbery.”
“Next, I'm supposed to pick up stitches and knit down from the waistband, but I'm feeling really iffy about gauge (especially since my waistband is a good six inches longer than I thought it was before I blocked it, and my blocking was not aggressive at all).”
“The "waistband" was cut high in the back and scooped really low in front, leaving room for a thick cotton stretchy band to fill in the gap.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘waistband’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for waistband.