from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One, such as a hook, that suspends something else.
- n. An often elastic strap worn over the shoulders to support trousers. Often used in the plural.
- n. Chiefly British A garter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something or someone who suspends.
- n. An item of apparel consisting of a strap worn over the shoulder and used hold up trousers. Called braces in other parts of the world.
- n. An item of apparel used to hold up a sock or (now especially) a stocking, such as a garter, or each of the fastening-straps attached to a corset or suspender belt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, suspends; esp., one of a pair of straps or braces worn over the shoulders, for holding up the trousers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which suspends or is suspended.
- n. One of the two straps worn for holding up trousers, etc.; one of a pair of braces: generally in the plural.
- n. A hanging basket or vase, as for flowers.
- n. One of a series of tanning-pits. See the quotation.
- n. One who remains in a state of suspense; a waverer.
- n. In Scotch law, he who secures a suspension (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elastic straps that hold trousers up (usually used in the plural)
From suspend + -er. (Wiktionary)