from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who simulates, pretends, or alleges falsely; a hypocrite or dissembler.
- n. One who sets forth a claim, especially a claimant to a throne.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold.
- n. A claimant to an abolished or already occupied throne.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who lays claim, or asserts a title (to something); a claimant.
- n. One who pretends, simulates, or feigns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who pretends, or makes a false show, as of learning or of legal right.
- n. One who pretends, or puts forward a claim; a claimant; an aspirant.
- n. Specifically, a claimant to a throne.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a claimant to the throne or to the office of ruler (usually without just title)
- n. a person who makes deceitful pretenses
- n. a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
to pretend + -er (Wiktionary)