from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who engages in deception under an assumed name or identity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who attempts to deceive by using an assumed name or identity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who imposes upon others; a person who assumes a character or title not his own, for the purpose of deception; a pretender.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who imposes on others; a person who practises deception, usually under a false guise or an assumed character.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who makes deceitful pretenses
French imposteur, from Latin impostor, one who assigns a name, from impostus, variant of impositus, past participle of impōnere, to place upon; see impose.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)