from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Australian An imaginary monster inhabiting swamps and lagoons.
- n. Australian An imposter; a fake.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mythical Australian monster, said to inhabit swamps and lagoons.
- n. An imposter or con-man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabulous animal supposed to inhabit water-holes and rivers.
- n. An impostor.
Wemba-wemba (Aboriginal language of southeast Australia) banib.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Wathawurung ban-yib. (Wiktionary)