from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A petty, quibbling, unscrupulous lawyer.
- n. One who quibbles over trivia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who quibbles over trivia, and raises petty, annoying objections.
- n. An unscrupulous or unethical lawyer, especially one of lesser skill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lawyer who deals in petty cases; an attorney whose methods are mean and tricky; an inferior lawyer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inferior attorney or lawyer who is employed in small or mean business.
- n. The rockling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a disputant who quibbles; someone who raises annoying petty objections
- n. a person (especially a lawyer or politician) who uses unscrupulous or unethical methods
Probably petty + obsolete fogger, pettifogger.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From petty + fogger. (Wiktionary)