Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who prevaricates; a shuffier; a quibbler.
- n. One who acts with unfaithfulness and want of probity; one who abuses a trust.
- n. Formerly, at the University of Cambridge, England, the opponent of the inceptor at commencement. He delivered a prefatory oration, freely satirizing prominent individuals.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who prevaricates.
- n. (Roman Law) A sham dealer; one who colludes with a defendant in a sham prosecution.
- n. One who betrays or abuses a trust.
- n. a person who has lied or who lies repeatedly
- to prevaricate + -or or Latin praevaricator: compare French prévaricateur. (Wiktionary)
“Church founded on Peter-Why then is he called a prevaricator of the truth, a traitor to the truth;?”
“The pompous prevaricator is in. ) takes a lot a gall, given the man he is supporting.”
“Take a lesson from the Bob Dole Charm School: If your opponent lies, enough with words like "prevaricator" or "misrepresenting the truth," call him or her a liar.”
“He preferred an honest juror with flaws to a prevaricator.”
“So, by continuing to express support for what is a clearly doubtful proposition, you mark yourself as either a fool or a prevaricator.”
“And he is prevaricator: you never know what he thinks or believes because he speaks from the both sides of his mouth.”
“Here is the case of the billionaire prevaricator being exposed by a lowly Latina housekeeper who says she was told, after nine years of cleaning toilets:”
“But here was a case of the billionaire prevaricator being exposed by a lowly Latina housekeeper who says she was told, after nine years of cleaning toilets: "You never have seen me and I have never seen you.”
“This does not mean abandoning negotiations, but rather doing away with the likes of the Quartet, whose feats include appointing Tony Blair as an inept envoy, and becoming a dispenser of vapid statements and a prevaricator that obstructs the tackling of issues on the ground.”
“It may seem petty but misspelling a species name, that you supposedly had to type numerous times, is kind of telling – that again ‘dr’ is a prevaricator.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prevaricator’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Lovecraft, Lovecraftian, bete noire
Synonyms and euphemisms for lie, liar, or lying.
words for a play
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Word of the Day by Kevin, fREW, and Wes
My word list from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."
every kind of liar.
Looking for tweets for prevaricator.