from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To move stealthily or cautiously.
- intransitive v. Informal To act or proceed cautiously or timidly to avoid committing oneself.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To move silently, stealthily, or furtively.
- v. To act timidly or cautiously.
- v. To use euphemistic language or circumlocution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to go stealthily or furtively
From pussy (“feline”) + foot; because of the light and careful tread of cats. (Wiktionary)