from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The head; also, a knoblike protuberance or capitulum.
- n. The top or superior part of a thing.
- n. The council or ruling body of the University of Cambridge prior to the constitution of 1856.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the head; the head or upper extremity of some part of the body.
- n. An abbreviation of the phrase caput senatus (literally, head of the senate), a council or ruling body in the University of Cambridge, England.
- n. In Roman law, the standing before the law, or the personal status, of a citizen.
- n. A fanciful term used by the old chemists to denote the residuum of chemicals when all their volatile matters had escaped; specifically, oxid of iron, which is the residue left when sulphate of iron is distilled at a red heat. Hence— Anything from which all that rendered it valuable has been taken away.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains
- n. a headlike protuberance on an organ or structure
Sorry, no etymologies found.