from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To extend outward or upward beyond the limits of the main body; project: "He had a sharp crooked nose jutting out of a lean dancer's face” ( Graham Greene).
- transitive v. To cause to jut. See Synonyms at bulge.
- n. Something that protrudes; a projection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. something that sticks out
- v. to stick out
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which projects or juts; a projection.
- n. A shove; a push.
- intransitive v. To shoot out or forward; to project beyond the main body.
- intransitive v. To butt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strike; shove; butt.
- To project forward; extend beyond the main body or line: as, the jutting part of a building: often with out.
- n. That which juts; a projection.
- n. A jostle; a shove; a thrust.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. extend out or project in space
- n. something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
- n. the act of projecting out from something
The way you call jut to tell me to look at the stars.
The upper stories project; and from these again jut windows of delicate turned latticework in old brown wood, like big bird-cages.
At other times the Grey valley is green and pleasant, excepting where the masses of grey rock from which it has its name jut out over the river.
Most of the stuff that comes before and after the "jut" is innocuous.
You see the surf still behind me, there's a number of these cuts (ph) that kind of jut out.
We here are south of that area, kind of jut out on an island.
Being also a first year student, he had come in with his ju'jut'su and between them they had won the battle, but not until the Jap had been hung over a picket fence with a jagged wound in his shoulder.
The space was like an awkward kitchen nook - the kind of jut in which a dining set never fits.
Hey, you guys brought Dan on board for urban planning, why not jut co-opt the best local source at Seattle Bubble?
They jut from girls 'lids like an underbite, fanning the air in great whips of painted wind, and they form the fluttering basis of a trend spreading faster than conjunctivitis.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.