from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To lie over or on.
- transitive v. To suffocate (a baby, for example) by accidentally lying on top of it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lie over or upon
- v. To suffocate by lying upon; as, to overlie an infant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To lie over or upon; specifically, to suffocate by lying upon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lie over or upon; hence, to smother by lying upon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. kill by lying on
- v. lie upon; lie on top of
over- + lie (“to recline”) (Wiktionary)