from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To swell or bulge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To bulge outward, producing a rounded protuberance.
- v. To cause to bulge outward.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To swell, or be prominent, beyond the adjacent surface; to bulge out.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To swell beyond the adjacent surface; be prominent; bulge out.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. form a rounded prominence
- v. cause to bulge out or project
Late Latin prōtūberāre, prōtūberāt- : Latin prō-, forth; see pro-1 + Latin tūber, a swelling; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)