from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something, such as a bulge, knob, or swelling, that protrudes.
- n. The condition of being protuberant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bulge, knob, swelling, spine or anything that protrudes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is protuberant swelled or pushed beyond the surrounding or adjacent surface; a swelling or tumor on the body; a prominence; a bunch or knob; an elevation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A swelling or tumor on the body; a prominence; a bunch or knob; anything swelled or pushed beyond the surrounding or adjacent surface; on the surface of the earth, a bill, knoll, or other elevation; specifically, in anatomy and zoology, a protuberant part; a projection or prominence; a tuberosity: as, a bony protuberance. See cut under conjugation.
- n. See the adjectives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
- n. the condition of being protuberant; the condition of bulging out
From Latin prōtubērantia ("bulge; protuberance"), from prō + tūber ("swelling; protuberance") + -antia ("-ance"). (Wiktionary)