from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An East Indian sailor, army servant, or artillery trooper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sailor, army servant or artilleryman from India or Southeast Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native sailor, employed in European vessels; also, a menial employed about arsenals, camps, camps, etc.; a camp follower.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a native tent-pitcher, camp-follower, or regimental servant.
- n. An East Indian sailor.
- n. An artilleryman of an inferior class: a gun-lascar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a volcano in the Andes in Chile
- n. an East Indian sailor
Urdu lashkar, army, from Persian, from Arabic al-'askar, the army : al-, the + 'askar, army.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)