from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To act like a pettifogger. See Synonyms at quibble.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To quibble over trivial matters; nitpick
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To do a petty business as a lawyer; also, to do law business in a petty or tricky way.
- transitive v. To advocate like a pettifogger; to argue trickily.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To play the pettifogger; do small business as a lawyer.
- n. A confusing fog or mist: in allusion to pettifog, v.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. argue over petty things
Back-formation from pettifogger.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Back-formation from pettifogger. (Wiktionary)