Definitions

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Informal A scheme to incriminate an innocent person.
  • n. Informal A contest or deliberation the outcome of which is fraudulently prearranged.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Alternative spelling of frameup.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A conspiracy or plot for a malicious or evil purpose

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an act that incriminates someone on a false charge
  • v. construct by fitting or uniting parts together

Etymologies

Sorry, no etymologies found.

Examples

  • That compares with 22% who are certain that it is a set up, and another 35% who said it was "probably" a frame-up, for a total of 57% who think it's likely he was set up.

    Notable & Quotable

  • He has called the charges a frame-up'' and says he is a legitimate businessman who never had any intention of selling weapons.

    Suspected Russian Arms Dealer Goes on Trial

  • Now note three things: (a) Cecil Winwood was so detested by his fellow convicts that they would not have permitted him to bet an ounce of Bull Durham on a bedbug race — and bedbug racing was a great sport with the convicts; (b) I was the dog that had been given a bad name; (c) for his frame-up, Cecil Winwood needed the dogs with bad names, the lifetimers, the desperate ones, the incorrigibles.

    Chapter 2

  • Over the course of the first-season finale, Richmond went from the presumed killer of Rosie Larsen to victim of a frame-up job by the shady Det.

    Cheers & Jeers: The Killing's Billy Campbell in the Soup

  • OK, I'll stop feeding into their frame-up by using all the military metaphors, how's that for a start?

    Chris Weigant: Friday Talking Points -- Class Warfare? Hardly.

  • Marnie Tunay appears to think that the conviction of one of the Toronto 18 accused settles the question of whether the arrests and prosecutions can appropriately be described, as in the title of my article, as “fraud and fearmongering,” and as a “frame-up.”

    Fraud and Fearmongering in the “War on Terror” : Law is Cool

  • She says frame-up trials against her are taking place uninterrupted and will continue until the next parliamentary elections to prevent her from participating in politics and from helping people.

    Former Ukraine PM to Stand Trial for Abuse of Power Charges

  • This article sources it to the attempted frame-up of Phil Berrigan et al. on charges of conspiracy to kidnap Kissenger, etc., based on testimony by an informant/provacateur who had infiltrated the Catholic nonviolent direct action antiwar movement.

    Discourse.net: 'Better Privacy' Firefox Add-On Eats Hidden Cookies

  • Therefore, at least the government, not forcing, but the frame-up right now was agreed that by the G-20s, one in which there has to be reform of compensation.

    Get Briefed: Nouriel Roubini

  • English meticulously details how detectives put words in Whitmore's mouth that amounted to a confession; how District Attorneys Aaron Koota and Frank Hogan the latter, known for his rectitude as Mr. District Attorney went along with the frame-up; and how naïve Brooklyn judges verified the guilty verdict that left Whitmore facing the death penalty.

    Len Levitt: Nassau County Police's Sad Accounting

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.