American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Informal Planned or prearranged secretly: The theft was a put-up job.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Concocted or planned by intimates or insiders, but so as to appear to emanate from or be the work of others; speciously conceived, planned, or carried out: as, a put-up job.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. colloq. Arranged; plotted; -- in a bad sense.
- v. provide.
- v. construct, build, or erect
- v. mount or put up
- v. propose as a candidate for some honor
- v. put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- v. place so as to be noticed
- v. provide housing for
- v. make available for sale at an auction
- v. preserve in a can or tin
- adj. planned secretly
“Conservative talk shows pound home the theory this is all a put-up job while the liberal media remains incredulous the Cain Train hasn't derailed into a fiery pileup.”
“Well, this is the time to put-up or shut-up. chuck”
“EOH: A number of critics are convinced that you are a GOP plant, a put-up job.”
“George Bernard Shaw, who had originally supported the publication, shortly declared the exposÃ© to be a "put-up job.”
“George Bernard Shaw, who had originally supported the publication, shortly declared the exposé to be a "put-up job.”
“I was wondering how I would be able to eat all of the raspberry and cherry jam I put-up this past weekend … YUMM! allison Aug 4”
“Don Siegelman, a Democrat who was convicted of bribery and has all the earmarks of being a put-up job by a vengeful Bush administration against him?”
“Reflecting on the fine-tuning of the conditions necessary for the universe to bring forth life, he suggested that the universe looks like a "put-up job," as if someone had been "monkeying" with the laws of physics, getting ready in advance for the appearance of life.”
“Congress were informed or consulted, the Underwear Bomb plot provided a convenient excuse for Washington's new war, regardless of whether it was a real attack or a put-up job.”
“It doesn't matter how many Democrats sign these put-up letters.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘put-up’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for put-up.