from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lodge at the entrance to the driveway of an estate.
- n. A fortified structure built over the gateway to a city or castle.
- n. A building that houses the controls of a dam or canal lock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lodge besides the entrance to an estate; often the residence of a gatekeeper; also a dwelling formerly used as such a residence.
- n. A fortified room over the entrance to a castle or over the gate in a city wall
- n. A shelter for a gatekeeper.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A house connected or associated with a gate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A house at a gate.
- n. A small house or lodge used by a person who attends the gate at a level crossing on a railroad.
- n. A house erected over the gate of a reservoir for regulating the flow of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a house built at a gateway; usually the gatekeeper's residence
Sorry, no etymologies found.