from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fortified main tower of a castle; a keep.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fortified tower of a motte or early castle; a keep.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief tower, also called the keep; a massive tower in ancient castles, forming the strongest part of the fortifications. See Illust. of castle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The inner tower, keep, or stronghold of a castle. See cut under castle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress
Variant of dungeon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French donjon. (Wiktionary)