Definitions

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The outer wall of a castle.
  • n. The space enclosed by this outer wall.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The outer wall of a feudal castle.
  • n. The space immediately within the outer wall of a castle or fortress.
  • n. A prison or court of justice; -- used in certain proper names; as, the Old Bailey in London; the New Bailey in Manchester.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The outer wall of a feudal castle.
  • n. The space immediately within the outer wall of a castle or fortress.
  • n. A prison or court of justice; -- used in certain proper names.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The external wall of defense about a feudal castle (see bail); by extension, any of the circuits of wall other than a keep or donjon, that is, any line of defense other than the innermost one.
  • n. As used by later writers, the outer court or base-court of a castle; by extension, any court of a defensive post used with a distinctive epithet.
  • n. Also ballium.
  • n. See bailie.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. English lexicographer who was the first to treat etymology consistently; his work was used as a reference by Samuel Johnson (died in 1742)
  • n. the outer defensive wall that surrounds the outer courtyard of a castle
  • n. the outer courtyard of a castle
  • n. United States singer (1918-1990)

Etymologies

Middle English bailli, from Old French baille, probably from Latin bacula, pl. of baculum, log, stick; see bacillus.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French baile ("palisade, enclosure"). (Wiktionary)

Examples

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Weirdnet #2...??

    Defended courtyard or ward of a castle. Open area enclosed by the castle walls.

    August 24, 2008