from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A decorative molding carried around an arched wall opening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ornamental molding or band following the curve on the underside of an arch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The architectural member surrounding the curved opening of an arch, corresponding to the architrave in the case of a square opening.
- n. More commonly, the molding or other ornaments with which the wall face of the voussoirs of an arch is charged.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ornamental molding or band of moldings on the face of an arch following the contour of the extrados; an arch-molding. Also called architrave.
Italian archivolto or French archivolte (French, from Italian) : arco, arch (from Latin arcus) + volta, vault (from Latin volūta; see vault1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)