from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A room where meals are served, especially in a college or other institution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dining-hall especially in an institution such as a college or monastery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A room for refreshment; originally, a dining hall in monasteries or convents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A room of refreshment; an eating-room; specifically, a hall or apartment in a convent, monastery, or seminary where the meals are eaten. Compare fraiter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a communal dining-hall (usually in a monastery)
Sorry, no etymologies found.