from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A monastery governed by a prior or a convent governed by a prioress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A monastery or convent governed by a prior or prioress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A religious house presided over by a prior or prioress; -- sometimes an offshoot of, an subordinate to, an abbey, and called also cell, and obedience. See cell, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A religions house next in dignity below an abbey, and often, but not necessarily, dependent upon an abbey. Its superior is called a prior or prioress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. religious residence in a monastery governed by a prior or a convent governed by a prioress
Sorry, no etymologies found.