from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A convent of nuns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a place of residence for nuns; a convent
- n. (obsolete) a brothel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A house in which nuns reside; a cloister or convent in which women reside for life, under religious vows. See cloister, and convent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A convent or cloister for the exclusive use of nuns.
- Nuns collectively, or the institution or system of conventual life for women.
- A name sometimes given to the triforium of a medieval church, since in some churches this gallery was set apart for the use of nuns attending them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the convent of a community of nuns
Sorry, no etymologies found.