from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A monastery of friars.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. house or dwelling where friars or members of certain religious communities live
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a friar; pertaining to friars or to a convent.
- n. A monastery; a convent of friars.
- n. The institution or practices of friars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A convent of friars; a monastery.
- n. The system of forming into brotherhoods of friars; the practices of friars; monkery.
- Pertaining to friars, or to a friary: as, “a friary cowl,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a monastery of friars
From friar, brother in a religious order, from Latin frater, brother, from Proto-Indo-European (Wiktionary)