from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principles, theories, or methodology of scholarly historical research and presentation.
- n. The writing of history based on a critical analysis, evaluation, and selection of authentic source materials and composition of these materials into a narrative subject to scholarly methods of criticism.
- n. A body of historical literature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the writing of history; a written history
- n. the study of the discipline and practice of history and the writings of past historians
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of employment of an historiographer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or employment of writing history; also, history.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the writing of history
- n. a body of historical literature
French historiographie, from Old French, from Greek historiographiā : historiā, history; see history + -graphiā, -graphy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
history + -ography (Wiktionary)