from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A specialist in historiography.
- n. A historian, especially one designated by a group or public institution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a scholar who studies historiography
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An historian; a writer of history; especially, one appointed or designated to write a history; also, a title bestowed by some governments upon historians of distinction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A historian; a writer of history; particularly, in later use, a professional or official historian: a title often conferred by European courts, usually as an honorary distinction, and sometimes by public bodies or institutions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is an authority on history and who studies it and writes about it
historiography + -er (Wiktionary)