from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nun in charge of a priory or ranking next below the abbess of an abbey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a nun in charge of a priory; an abbess or mother superior
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lady superior of a priory of nuns, and next in dignity to an abbess.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A female prior, having charge of a religious house; a woman who is the coadjutor of and next in rank to an abbess.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the superior of a group of nuns
Middle English prioresse, from Old French, feminine of prior, a prior; see prior2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
prior + -ess (Wiktionary)