American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A place for the care of the infirm, sick, or injured, especially a small hospital or dispensary in an institution.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place for the treatment of the infirm, or persons suffering from disease or injury.
- n. More particularly
- n. A general hospital for the inhabitants of a small town, or for the members of an institution, as a convent or school.
- n. A bureau or office for gratuitous aid and advice to outdoor patients in general, or for the treatment of special infirmities or deformities, as of the eye, ear, throat, etc.
- n. A place where sick or injured people are cared for, especially a small hospital; sickhouse.
- n. A clinic or dispensary within another institution.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A hospital, or place where the infirm or sick are lodged and nursed gratuitously, or where out-patients are treated.
- n. a health facility where patients receive treatment
- From Medieval Latin infirmaria, from Latin infirmus. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English infirmarie, from Medieval Latin īnfirmāria, from Latin īnfirmus, infirm; see infirm. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In one corner of a large, unpainted building was what he called the infirmary, and a comfortless looking place it was.”
“Note 80: A doctor in the infirmary is mentioned in TSB, 42. back”
“With the com unit in hand, she called the infirmary to ask how Kamiton was.”
“The impact of the news upon Stephen, semi-delirious in the school infirmary, is registered in the”
“Kind of like when the typical western-themed summer camp names their infirmary “wounded knee”.”
“I wanted some time alone to think, to get my head on straight, and the infirmary was the only answer.”
“The infirmary was her domain, and she maintained complete professionalism.”
“Above the infirmary was a dormitory, where the servants slept.”
“As a result, the infirmary was the one room in the entire command center that wasn't all shot up; Special Forces were under orders to take the tracking system in one piece.”
“What renders this part of education still more complete, is the advantage of attending the infirmary, which is the best instituted charitable foundation that I ever knew.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘infirmary’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Nouns ending in 'ary' which have the sense of 'a collection of' or 'home of'.
Looking for tweets for infirmary.