from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hospital treating contagious diseases.
- n. A building or ship used as a quarantine station.
- n. Nautical A storage space between the decks of a ship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medical facility specializing in the care for contagious patients.
- n. A ship or building used for quarantine.
- n. An area on some merchant ships where provisions are stored.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hospital or pest-house for the reception of diseased persons, particularly of those affected with contagious diseases; also, a prison hospital. At seaports the name is often given to a vessel used for this purpose.
- n. A building or vessel where ships' crews, passengers, and goods are detained during quarantine.
- n. In some large merchant ships, a place near the stern where provisions and stores for the voyage are kept.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hospital for persons with infectious diseases (especially leprosy)
- n. a small locker at the stern of a boat or between decks of a ship
Italian lazzaretto : blend of lazzaro, lazar (from Late Latin Lazarus, Lazarus; see lazar) and dialectal Nazareto, popular name for a hospital maintained in Venice by the Church of Santa Maria di Nazaret.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian lazzaretto. (Wiktionary)