American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quarters of midshipmen and junior officers on a British warship.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, an apartment on the after part of the lower gun-deck of a man-of-war, devoted to the use of the junior officers.
- n. A room where guns are stored.
- n. Living quarters for junior officers and midshipmen on a warship (hence gunroom officers). In the past it was usually set in the forecastle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.) An apartment on the after end of the lower gun deck of a ship of war, usually occupied as a messroom by the commissioned officers, except the captain; -- called wardroom in the United States navy.
- n. military quarters of midshipmen and junior officers on a British warship
- gun + room (Wiktionary)
“When Sheriff Wright came, he found the gunroom unlocked.”
“This gunroom made most gunstores appear somewhat lacking in comparision.”
“I told Himself you had carried out of the castle one of those big old game-bags from the gunroom, and he beamed.”
“Indeed, as I soothed my bruised nerves with brandy fomentations that night, I reflected that there were worse places than India; there was Aberdeenshire, with Ignatieff loose in the bracken, hoping to hang my head on his gunroom wall.”
“Between gloating, and babbling about how she and the Queen would discuss dress-making while Albert and I boozed in the gunroom (she had a marvellous notion of court life, you see), she went into declines at the thought that she would come out in spots, or have her drawers fall down when being presented.”
“But the gunroom officers let him eat with them until FitzRoy got over his snit and apologized.”
“He spends most of his time traipsing over the estate, chasing phantom poachers, Nancy continued, and when he is inside, hes down in the gunroom, cleaning his rifles.”
“The sullen gunroom steward swaggered forward, his face filled with defiance and visible contempt toward Crozier.”
““It's a better gamble than this, we think,” shouted the gunroom steward, Richard Aylmore.”
“Crozier glanced over at Hickey, standing next to Magnus Manson and the Erebus gunroom steward who had been flogged after Carnivale, Richard Aylmore.”
‘gunroom’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for gunroom.