from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The common recreation area and dining room for the commissioned officers on a warship.
- n. The commissioned officers on a warship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The living quarters of a ship designated for the commissioned officers other than the captain.
- n. The commissioned officers of a ship, excluding the captain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A room occupied as a messroom by the commissioned officers of a war vessel. See gunroom.
- n. A room used by the citizens of a city ward, for meetings, political caucuses, elections, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The apartment assigned to the commissioned officers of a man-of-war other than the commanding officer. Line-officers occupy staterooms on the starboard side and staff-officers on the port side.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. military quarters for dining and recreation for officers of a warship (except the captain)
Sorry, no etymologies found.