from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Made of or containing inferior material.
- adj. Of poor quality or craft.
- adj. Rundown; shabby.
- adj. Dishonest or reprehensible: shoddy business practices.
- adj. Conspicuously and cheaply imitative.
- n. Woolen yarn made from scraps or used clothing, with some new wool added.
- n. Cloth made from or containing such yarn.
- n. Something of inferior quality; a cheap imitation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being of poor quality or construction
- n. A low-grade cloth made from by-products of wool processing, or from recycled wool.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fibrous material obtained by “deviling,” or tearing into fibers, refuse woolen goods, old stockings, rags, druggets, etc. See mungo.
- n. Fluffy, fibrous waste from wool carding, worsted spinning, or weaving of woolens.
- n. A fabric of inferior quality made of, or containing a large amount of, shoddy.
- adj. Made wholly or in part of shoddy; containing shoddy; ; hence, colloquially, not genuine; sham; pretentious.
- adj. of poor quality or inferior workmanship.
- adj. visibly worn or damaged from use; shabby.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woolen material felted together, composed of old woolen cloth torn into shreds, the rejected threads from the weaving of finer cloths, and the like. Com-pare mungo.
- n. The inferior cloth made from this substance; hence, any unsubstantial and almost worthless goods.
- n. A person or thing combining assumption of superior excellence with actual inferiority; pretense; sham; vulgar assumption.
- Made of shoddy: as, shoddy cloth. Hence Of a trashy or inferior character: as, shoddy literature.
- Pretending to an excellence not possessed; pretentious; sham; counterfeit; ambitious for prominence or influence not deserved by character or breeding, but aspired to on account of newly acquired wealth: as, a shoddy aristocracy. See I., 2.
- To convert into shoddy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. designed to deceive or mislead either deliberately or inadvertently
- n. reclaimed wool fiber
- adj. of inferior workmanship and materials
- adj. cheap and shoddy
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)