from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Commonly called: "new buildings ... in so-called modern style” ( Graham Greene).
- adj. Incorrectly or falsely termed: My so-called friends were gossiping about me again.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. So named; called by such a name, with a very strong connotation that the item is not worthy of that name.
- adj. Same as above, without the negative connotation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. So named; called by such a name (but perhaps called thus with doubtful propriety).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See so called, under so, adverb
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. doubtful or suspect
so + called (Wiktionary)