from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The protein constituent of hemoglobin and myoglobin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of several polypeptides that are the protein components of haemoglobin in blood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a colorless protein obtained by removing heme from hemoglobin; the protein part of hemoglobin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The proteid substance which with hematin makes up the larger part of the red blood-corpuscles. It is possibly a mixture of several distinct proteids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a colorless protein obtained by removing heme from hemoglobin; the oxygen carrying compound in red blood cells
Back-formation from hemoglobin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)