American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Taking insufficient care; negligent: a careless housekeeper; careless proofreading.
- adj. Marked by or resulting from lack of forethought or thoroughness: a careless mistake.
- adj. Showing a lack of consideration: a careless remark.
- adj. Unconcerned or indifferent; heedless: careless of the consequences.
- adj. Unstudied or effortless: danced with careless grace.
- adj. Exhibiting a disposition that is free from cares; cheerful: a careless grin; a careless wave of the hand.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Free from care or anxiety; hence, undisturbed; cheerful.
- Giving no care; heedless; negligent; unthinking; inattentive; regardless; unmindful.
- Done or said without care; unconsidered: as, a careless act; a careless expression.
- Not receiving care; uncared for.
- Synonyms and Supine, Indolent, etc. (see listless); incautious, thoughtless, remiss, forgetful, inconsiderate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Free from care or anxiety. hence, cheerful; light-hearted.
- adj. Having no care; not taking ordinary or proper care; negligent; unconcerned; heedless; inattentive; unmindful; regardless.
- adj. Without thought or purpose; without due care; without attention to rule or system; unstudied; inconsiderate; spontaneous; rash.
- adj. rare Not receiving care; uncared for.
- adj. marked by lack of attention or consideration or forethought or thoroughness; not careful
- adj. effortless and unstudied
- adj. (usually followed by `of') without due thought or consideration
- From Middle English careles, from Old English carlēas ("careless, reckless, void of care, free from care, free"), equivalent to care + -less. (Wiktionary)
“Geithner apologized for what he called careless mistakes.”
“Police blame the incident on what they call careless zoo keepers.”
“Police blame the incident on what they call careless zookeepers.”
“Mr Mitchell has apologised for what he described as a careless oversight, and has repaid the money.”
“You are more likely to be careless is sexual situations, so you are more likely to have AIDS.”
“This guy is just plain careless and considering his background he is showing distinct unsuitedness for high office.”
“The quick turnaround took its toll in careless ball-handling and in tired legs that weren't quite able to put enough oomph into the jumpers.”
“` ` We were just trying to do too much, whether you call it careless or forcing it in there.”
“Later today, President-elect Obama called Nancy Reagan, apologized to her for what he described as a careless and off-hand remark he made during the news conference.”
“Later today, President-elect Obama called Nancy Reagan, apologized to her for what he described as a careless and off - hand remark he made during the news conference.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘careless’.
Words ending with *more or *less, more or less. Many of theses terms also appear on the list The -less Said, which see.
words denoting depression, melancholy or general lack of contentment
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
The next time someone uses the phrase "C Word" ask them if they mean any of the ones on this list. Suggestions Welcome! I'm looking for words that could be used to describe other people, especially...
Looking for tweets for careless.