American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Marked by a lack of neatness or order; untidy: a sloppy room.
- adj. Marked by a lack of care or precision; slipshod: sloppy use of language.
- adj. Informal Oversentimental; gushy.
- adj. Of, resembling, or covered with slop; muddy or slushy: sloppy ground.
- adj. Watery and unappetizing: a sloppy stew.
- adj. Spotted or splashed with liquid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- adj. Very wet; covered in or composed of slop.
- adj. Messy; not neat, elegant, or careful.
- adj. Imprecise or loose.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Wet, so as to spatter easily; wet, as with something slopped over; muddy; plashy.
- adj. (of soil) soft and watery
- adj. wet or smeared with a spilled liquid or moist material
- adj. marked by great carelessness
- adj. lacking neatness or order
- adj. excessively or abnormally emotional
- adj. not fitting closely; hanging loosely
- From slop, + -y suffix. (Wiktionary)
“Nobody wants a network ` s forgive the term sloppy seconds.”
“Llamazares said he was concerned to see the government resorting to what he called sloppy techniques, especially in the light of recent terrorism alerts such as the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a Detroit-bound airplane.”
“He said he was concerned to see the government resorting to what he called sloppy techniques, especially in the light of recent terrorism alerts such as the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a Detroit-bound airplane.”
“But for me he would have been selected by the squire for his heir, he said; and he often 'confounded' me to my face on that account as he shook my hand, breaking out: 'I'd as lief fetch you a cuff o' the head, Harry Richmond, upon my honour! 'and cursing at his luck for having to study for his living, and be what he called a sloppy curate now that I had come to Riversley for good.”
“One thing that continually shocks me is how many people claim that being a professional musician is their lifelong dream, yet these people show up in sloppy sweats, ratty blue jeans, and ill-fitting t-shirts.”
“I haven't always agreed with Perlman's writings/opinions, but respected him - what a disappointment that he would do something like this and then call it sloppy handwriting.”
“Tebow threw three touchdown passes, ran for 80 yards and another score, and the Gators thumped No. 23 Florida State 45-15 in sloppy conditions Saturday.”
“WHO SHOULD BUY Anglers and hunters who want clear, fog-free photos in sloppy conditions.”
“The Gophers were sloppy from the start; no match for a Michigan defense that entered the game last in the Big Ten in scoring defense and passing defense.”
“The only time I dress sloppy is if I am helping dh in the shop.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sloppy’.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
A list of traits that I don't like in others.
Looking for tweets for sloppy.