American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or being a modifier, especially a participle or participial phrase, that grammatically modifies the subject of its sentence but semantically modifies another element of the sentence or an unstated referent, as approaching Dallas in the sentence Approaching Dallas, the skyline came into view. See Usage Note at participle.
- adj. suspended from above
- n. the act of hanging something from above such that it can move freely; suspension
- v. present participle of dangle.
- n. the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
“Did I need a tag dangling from Suzies neck to identify her?”
“MAX, advertised with a photo of a heavy steel chain dangling from a telephone receiver in place of a cord.”
“Then I glanced at the tag dangling from the left sleeve and I almost fainted.”
“And if - the surface carbon atoms are what we called dangling bonds, and they're very reactive.”
“Took the photo (fall of Saigon) of the helo lifting off with the person dangling from the bottom.”
“Our daughter sleeps, each night, with her hand dangling from the bed, to the floor, where it rests with reassurance on her dog's soft back.”
“After a few puffs, they resumed harvesting, the thin, uneven cigarettes dangling from the edges of their mouths as they laughed and chatted, sharing everything from recipes to crude jokes.”
“Drivers told authorities that the women were dangling from the bridge and flashing passers-by.”
“On his left pectoral is a skull with one eyeball dangling from the socket by a cord of veins.”
“Meanwhile, his left arm joins his left leg in dangling out the car window and he drives with one hand, longing nearly horizontal with his seat tipped back.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dangling’.
words describing slow action or movement
( open list, randomness, descriptive )
An obnoxious and ridiculous madlib list where verbish '-ing' words fill in the blank wherein the blank is a call for a beating.
"You're ________in' for a brus...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
A sad song by Dar Williams, from her album The Honesty Room.
The blue it speaks so full
It's like the beauty one can barely stand
Or too much things dropped in your ...
Looking for tweets for dangling.