Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A reciprocating rotary motion about a fore-and-aft axis, more or less irregular, as of a ship at sea.
- n. Ornamenting, by means of a bookbinders' roll, the edges or inner covers of a full-bound book.
- n. Smoothing or polishing paper by means of calendering rollers.
- n. A method of taking trout. When the streams are at their lowest stage in summer, a dam of logs, stones, and brush is roughly built at the lower end of some pool in which the fish have congregated. This rolling-dam being constructed, the stream for some distance above the pool is beaten with poles, and the fish are driven down to the deepest water, out of which they are swept with a net.
- n. Same as roll, 5.
- n. A twist or partial knot by which the thread is secured to the bobbin in lace-making.
- Moving on wheels, or as if on wheels.
- Making a continuous noise resembling the roll of a drum: as, a rolling fire of musketry.
- Wavy; undulating; rising and falling in gentle slopes.
- Turned over or down with the effect of a roll, or that may be so turned down.
- n. In tea manufacture, in China and elsewhere, the operation of pressing the withered leaf, by an arduous manipulation (in modernized practice by machinery). The object is to burst the cells to promote oxidation (in black tea: see under tea) and to render the extractive matter subject to infusion. The curling or twisting of the leaf results incidentally.
- v. present participle of roll.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Rotating on an axis, or moving along a surface by rotation; turning over and over as if on an axis or a pivot.
- adj. Moving on wheels or rollers, or as if on wheels or rollers.
- adj. U.S. Having gradual, rounded undulations of surface.
- n. propelling something on wheels
- adj. uttered with a trill
- n. the act of robbing a helpless person
- n. a deep prolonged sound (as of thunder or large bells)
“That's what you call the rolling the rock up the hill, Lisa.”
“That's what you call rolling the rock up the hill, Lisa.”
“I'll have to do some math on that one, because I've got that Yukon XL, which I call the rolling zip code.”
“And I figured my car, the Yukon XL, which I call a rolling zip code, I figured would be on the list of least efficient cars, but no! ANDY SERWER, "FORTUNE" MAGAZINE: You don't quite make it, but I'm sure it's pretty close.”
“He proposes now again what he calls rolling back some of the tax cut -- that's raising taxes; 1.7 million Minnesota families received rebates as a result of this tax bill, and that's a good thing for Minnesota.”
“He proposes now again what he calls rolling back some of the tax cut that's raising taxes.”
“WOLF BLITZER, CNN ANCHOR: Bernie, one thing that's going to be a lot different that we're going to see at this Republican Convention is what they call a rolling roll call.”
“The SAAU is planning what it describes as rolling protest action from September 28 to October 2 against the government's failure to curb crime.”
“This is what I call rolling in wealth." said Brown to himself.”
“Bauer's mother, Cindy Hickey of Pine City, Minn., and Fattal's mother, Laura Fattal of suburban Philadelphia, began what they called a "rolling" hunger strike last Thursday out of concern their sons also were fasting.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rolling’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
Words to describe art of the Romantic Era
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
A list of bookbinding terms and phrases, for assembling new or repairing/reassembling old books.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
Lovely words from Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem
uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...
Lukey's boat is painted green,
Aha, me boys,
Lukey's boat is painted green,
The prettiest boat you ever seen.
Aha me boys a-riddle-I-day.
Lukey's boat's go...
by Great Big Sea.
Jenny said goodbye this afternoon
As far as I can tell
She can't bear the goodbye evenings
Or the morning-afters of farewell
She says "Here yo...
Looking for tweets for rolling.