from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden, steep climbing turn of an aircraft, executed to alter flight direction and gain altitude simultaneously.
- intransitive v. To execute a chandelle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an abrupt climbing turn made by an airplane, in which the plane's momentum is used to achieve a higher than normal rate of climb, without stalling the aircraft.
- intransitive v. to perform a chandelle, as of an airplane.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flight maneuver consisting of a steep climbing turn executed to gain altitude while changing direction
- v. climb suddenly and steeply
French, from chandelle, candle, from Old French, from Latin candēla; see candle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)