from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Growing at high altitudes; alpine or subalpine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the Alps, or other high mountains
- adj. Growing on the elevated parts of mountains, but not above the timber line; subalpine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or peculiar to the Alps, or other mountainous regions: as, “alpestrine diseases,” Dana.
- In botany, growing on mountains below the alpine region, that is, below the limit of tree-growth as determined by cold.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. growing at high altitudes
From Medieval Latin alpestris, from Latin Alpēs, the Alps.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)